If you're here to visit The Boy & The Bulldog, you're on the wrong mountain. Please click here to recalibrate your compass

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Journey Begins With a Single Step...

This is my first post in what I expect to be many. I have made a mental and verbal commitment to myself that I will climb Mt. Rainier on or near my 40th birthday.

I've gotten reactions anywhere from eye rolling (which the person must think is invisible because it's followed by something like "oh, neat"), to huge enthusiasm- and everything in between. One person gave me a really encouraging response of "well, it's no Everest". Thanks. I'm sure most people think I'm talking about a leisurely hike, but I'm actually talking about a major climb here...and Mt. Rainier is no joke. This is why I'm giving myself 4 years.

I'm ashamed to say that I've lived in Washington my entire life and have really ignored the beautiful scenery of our area. Sure we hate the rain and cold, damp, ickiness that goes along with it, but few will argue that late Spring to early Fall is flat out gorgeous here.
Also sad is the fact that I live in Snoqualmie, which puts me less than 30 minutes to literally thousands of trails. Ridiculous that I haven't gotten up and out more. Instead, I've gotten bogged down in the rat race and motherhood and forgotten to put myself back on the list.
I did my share of hikes into mountain lakes and streams to fish with my boyfriend in highschool, but never really got into it as a true hobby.
For months now, I've been researching everything possible about it and decided that Shawn isn't the only one who can have an outdoor hobby. Where's my extreme sport? I guess I have to go out and invent one. No one's going to come knocking and ask if I want to climb a mountain, now are they? Since there's no extreme sport in reading paperbacks by the pool or shoe shopping, I guess this is the next best thing.

So here I am, attempting to put myself as a priority again. I'm so frigging selfish, I know. Ian won't notice...and by the time he does, he might just want to go with me. What better example can I set for him than to be a mom with goals...and not the goal to watch as much TV as possible. He is bound to be a healthier and more well rounded kid because of us (Shawn and I). It's our job to make that happen.

I have nothing else to say at this point other than if you're actually reading this, you either know me or are trolling. Either way, welcome. You'll be faced with at least a year of nothing but talk about cardio & strength training and discussions about hikes. I'll try to keep it interesting!

If you do choose to comment, please keep it positive. Although this is a public blog, criticism is not welcome, but encouragement and tips are.

Thanks for stopping by. Come back soon to see if I've been able to tear myself away long enough to actually do my "one thing every day" toward my goal: Mt. Rainier 2013.

Below are a few pics I found that gave me both the "ahh, this is good" and "holy shit, what am I doing" feelings. I guess I need a little of both in order to pull this off. Forgive me for not knowing the specific regions and landmarks on these pictures. One day, I hope I laugh at the fact that I didn't know the name of a particular ridge or peak.


The cliche picture that makes Mt. Rainier one of the country's most popular tourist attractions.

Above the clouds


Don't know that I could imagine anything more beautiful

This is cheating since it's from an airplane...but still beautiful.

Looking north toward Mt. Baker and Adams (what's the 3rd? I should know this!)

Wow

This picture made me pee my pants just a little


And if I didn't pee a little in the prior pic, this one made me a little sick to my stomach. OMG. This is the route to take when the elevator's broken, right?

No comments: